Thursday, August 13, 2009

This is how I got into ISB.

It was late August 2004. I had been married for less than one year and was going through one of the worst phases of my life. My wife had seen a lot of potential in me and had nagged me into giving up my job at St. Xavier’s College. I was now working for the Indo American Society as a Manager for Academic Programmes.

By changing my job I had not only lost my super star status at my workplace (something I had become used to) but also had to adjust to a new work culture. This adjustment was getting on to my nerves. I was getting some salary but was totally unhappy about it. More than me my wife was unhappy about it.

Moreover my wife got a superb job offer and had decided to take it up. Her salary was thus now going to be more than double my salary. She was thus ashamed of me and had left no stone unturned to let her displeasure be known to me.

Battered and bruised by her nagging and outright wild n abusive remarks, I went to work everyday.

At work, that day the electricity had failed and the only thing that was working was my computer because of the UPS. My mouse had a severe malfunction and was very difficult to use. So I by mistake clicked on a pop up of monster dot com.

Realizing what had happened I decided to make use of what had just popped up. It was 1135 in the morning when I finished filling in the details and went out of the office to tell the security man to instruct the student who had come for the 1130 class to leave as there was a power failure.

Many of the guys who had turned up for the class were agitated and thus I had to spend some time pacifying them. When I returned to my seat it was around 12ish. My secretary came in with an invite of her wedding and placed the card on my table. After exchanging the usual pleasantries she asked if she could go out for lunch with her fiancée. After she left I got a call from Simran Khara from ISB. She told me she had seen my profile on monster and was asking if I would be interested in working for ISB. At first I thought it was a practical joke but later said ok to the interviews on phone.

My first interview was scheduled for the next day at 11 and the next one at 2 pm. Both on phone. When I came back home that day I told this to my wife n she told me “be careful!” I just casually also told this to my dad and he told me the usual …. “Go! All the best but I am sure your worst will also get u through… so do ur worst!”

After I finished both the interviews, Simran again rung me up and told me I had to come down to Hyderabad for the next round of formalities. I had to book my tickets so I called my secy in to take down my schedule and see if a booking is available. As she left I noticed her wedding card on the table, I opened it to see an embossed Ganpati on it.

I flew down to Hyderabad for my interviews and came back with mixed feelings. The ISB is like the TAJ Mahal. Once a person sets foot here and is given an opportunity to imagine, you can be sure the guy will dream of making it big. I too came back with similar feelings. My interviews like always had gone off real well and there should not have been any problems.

However, even 10 days after there was no news. I had almost lost hope.

On the 11th of September, I landed up at my office as usual and was meeting up with this girl from ToI. She had a gift for me. An Idol of Lord Moreshwar one of the Astvinayak idols from near Pune. She was kind of afraid to give it to me as I am a Catholic. I put her at ease and took the idol and put it down on my table as if to install it and told her this will now always remain with me. She was so happy to see me accept it that she thanked me a lot before she left. As soon as she had left, Monica Reddy from the HR at ISB rung me up to ask why had I not replied to their offer letter. I told her I had not got any. So she checked with me for my email address and found a few ‘L’(s) missing. Soon she sent me the letter and the rest is history.

This is how I got into ISB. String of coincidences or just one huge miracle by the Man Himself?

1 comment:

  1. Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up.
    Keep on visit to this website for xbox gift card generator

    ReplyDelete